Reading Wild is a literacy project within the award-winning Focus Wild Arizona wildlife education program. Our goal is to bring more informational texts into science classrooms.
There are two primary types of nonfiction texts that we feature on this page:
LEVELED READING SETS
Many of the texts included in this program originated from the Arizona Game and Fish Department’s Arizona Wildlife Views magazine. This magazine is published multiple times each year. Each issue of the magazine includes articles focused on wildlife and outdoor recreation in Arizona. We have selected a variety of articles that we feel have value in the K-12 classroom.
Each article set in this collection includes:
- Three versions of the article covering 3 distinct lexile levels. Version A is the lowest lexile (generally equivaleny to a 3rd or 4th grade reading level) while version C is the highest (usually high school level).
- Text-dependent questions that will test the student’s reading comprehension.
- Critical thinking questions that will require the student to dig deeper into the concepts covered in the article.
- A teaching guide complete with correlated standards and additional resources.
PAIRED TEXT SETS
We have also included texts that were not originally published in our magazine. These were often essays or speeches. As a result, they have NOT been edited for multiple lexile levels. However, we have grouped them into text sets correlated to the standards at a particular grade level. These sets will include text-dependent and critical thinking questions for each article as well as a separate set of questions that allow the student to analyze the articles together.
NAVIGATING THE ARTICLES
We have tried to make it as easy as possible to find the articles that are meaningful to your instruction. You can use the columns to the right to:
- Choose a specific lexile level or find the paired text sets.
- Click on a general topic.
- Type a keyword into the search box.
- Find recently added and most popular articles.
You will also notice a tab at the top for Other Reading Resources. On this page, you will find a variety of other literacy materials that you could bring into your classroom. Some have been developed by the Department and some have been provided by other organizations.
We love to receive feedback. Let us know what you thought about the reading passages and the supplemental resources. Provide a comment on the appropriate article page.
Please visit the page again as we regularly add new articles.
For other educational resources related, please visit our Focus Wild Arizona homepage.